Sunday 9 November 2014
15:06

Joey Barton speaks about spat with Zlatan Ibrahimovic as QPR midfielder reveals he told the PSG star on the pitch: 'Yeah, I'm English, but you've got a huge nose

Joey Barton has given his version of events between him and Zlatan Ibrahimovic last season when the then-Marseille midfielder gestured that the PSG striker had a big nose.
Barton reveals he was instructed to get under the Sweden international's skin by ex-Marseille manager Elie Baup, and that he and Ibrahimovic were simply exchanging taunts.
Barton insists he was unaware that cameras would catch him, but defends his infamous act in February 2013 by saying he 'just told him the truth'.

Telling French newspaper L'Equipe, Barton said: 'Before the game, Elie Baup told me to get under Zlatan’s skin, to stop him from turning too easily and controlling aerial balls from their goalkeeper.
‘I was winning loads of free kicks, because he was making foul after foul.
'So he said to me: "You play hard, so stay on your feet", so I told him, laughing "Yeah, just stop making stupid fouls."
'Then he called me an English so-and-so, so I replied: "Yeah, I’m English, but you’ve got a huge nose", and I did the gesture showing his huge nose. 
Ibrahimovic apparently called Barton an 'English so-and-so' and the QPR midfielder replied about his nose
Ibrahimovic apparently called Barton an 'English so-and-so' and the QPR midfielder replied about his nose

'I didn’t think anyone would notice because the ball was far away, I thought that would be the end of it.
'But then for weeks after, all the kids in Marseille were coming up to me doing the nose gesture! I was like, "Whoa, everyone saw!" It was quite funny.
'As for that moment, Zlatan was surprised, because he’s Zlatan and no one ever says anything to him. 
'But at the end of the day, I just told him the truth: Zlatan is a great player, and he has a huge nose.' 
PSG vs Marseille is the biggest fixture in Ligue 1, with the pair taking on each other on Sunday night.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe me